There's a few good ways to put a competition to bed. Here are my top 6:
1. Book the next competition. Both as soon as possible and... as soon as possible. Can I book my travel plans as I walk to the ladies' dressing room after awards? YES. [Smartphones!] Is there a comp tomorrow? No? Is there a comp next weekend? YES.
2. I like to crack open my planner and start revising goals. And making new ones because I CRUSHED those previous ones. There are charts and spreadsheets and calendars and graphing paper involved.
3. I have a stare down with my costumes. I have a chat with them, "How dirty are you reeeeeally?" I've hung them on my door to easier gauge the possible yuck factor and I have an existential internal monologue each time I walk by them.
4. I have makeup withdrawal that goes one of two ways:
A) I go cold turkey and say, "F.U. makeup" for the next week. Or two.
B) I gradually wean myself off the excessive bronzer and false eyelashes and fail at the whole "weaning" part.
5. Heavy drinking and video review - Ugh.
6. Return to the real world. But keep the reasons I love to compete in my pocket.